maanantai 7. joulukuuta 2009

I'm not an asshat! I just suffer from....

It's not the first time and it most likely will not be the last. I am speaking of: "I suffer from X and that gives me right to...." excuses. Sometimes people even use them as justification for the asshat of the day, instead of the asshat themselves voicing it.

I for instance happen to suffer from a form (there are several) of bipolar disorder, while it does mean I may have some very severe mood swings, it however does not make me an asshat, jerk or an idiot. Imagine that.

I think anyone accepting or attempting to justify ingame asshattery via real life disorders or diseases has just attacked all those suffering from the disorder. Really, you would not buy such a story if there was a racial reason given for it, would you?

Stuff that the disorders, in my mind, do justify:

1. Being away from the game (Since you really really really need to take a few weeks of rest in your friendly hospital ward). Or you just recognise that you are not in condition to operate heavy machinery (or drama aka. diplomacy) today.

2. Well that is about all I can think of.

Physical restrictions are another thing, from speech issues to trouble with using the comp. But even they do not really justify asshattery, do they?

So the next time someone says "I suffer from..." as an excuse for being jerks, asshats, griefers or anything? Gank them, it is your moral obligation towards those of us suffering from disorders.

"There are widespread problems with social stigma, stereotypes and prejudice against individuals with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder." -Quote from the wikipedia article on Bipolar disorder.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti